Mold and mildew are some of the worst words for homeowners to hear. No one knows exactly how many homes have hidden fungi, but researchers estimate that as many as 70% of homes have some type of mold problem.
Fungi in your home lead to dangerous problems. Mold and mildew cause health issues, foul smells, and wreak havoc on your home’s physical structure.
Let’s explore how to know if you have mold in your house and what problems the fungi cause.
1. Health Problems
Mold and mildew grow and release spores and other organic compounds into the air. These particles create breathing problems, allergens, and irritate our eyes and nose.
A person who already has allergies is at a high-risk of worsening their symptoms by living in a house with mold. Mold and mildew’s airborne substances infect the upper respiratory tract. This results in:
- Nose and eye itchiness
- Blocked or runny nose
- Throat irritation or soreness
Untreated allergies cause problems sleeping, focusing, and staying active. As allergies worsen, they open the door for severe inflammatory diseases to develop, like ear and sinus infections.
Asthma affects over 24 million people across America. Fungi in the air is a common cause of asthma. Mold and mildew are blown around a home’s vents and HVAC systems, which results in people breathing in the fungi.
Mold leads to asthma if it lingers within your respiratory system. Mold and mildew can make asthma worse for those who already suffer from the condition.
People with asthma have reduced lung functions. Inhaling fungi creates an allergic reaction. A person’s airways constrict, and their chest tightens. A person experiences wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath.
Mold and mildew lead to the development of acute and chronic bronchitis infections. The condition begins within the bronchial tubes. The lungs get swollen and inflamed.
The infection causes a person to have a shortness of breath, chest tightness, wheezing, mucusy coughs, and sometimes a low fever.
Acute bronchitis occurs after being irritated by mold and mildew in the environment. It lasts for two to three weeks.
Chronic bronchitis may never go away. It’s caused by repeated exposure to mold and mildew. Chronic bronchitis is most common in long-term smokers, elderly adults, and people with underlying respiratory problems.
2. Foul Odors
When fungi release spores, they create a foul odor. Mold and mildew lead to earthy, damp, and musty smells. Think of dirty socks or rotting wood.
Constantly smelling a musty odor is a sign of a mold infestation. Mold and mildew thrive in dark and damp places, like your bathroom, basement, and garage. The foul smells may be increasingly worse in these areas.
You can follow the smell to determine where the mold is. Sometimes mold grows in places that are hard to reach or see, which is when you need to rely on a professional to get rid of it. Once the mold and mildew are gone, the foul odors should also disappear.
3. Wall and Floor Damage
Mold and mildew don’t just wreak havoc on human health. These powerful fungi can destroy your home’s appearance, especially within its walls and flooring.
Moisture from leaking pipes leads to mold on walls. If the pipes are located behind your walls, you will notice paint bubbling.
Moisture causes the paint to bubble. If there is moisture, there is mold, too.
Mold and mildew also cause soft and squishy spots throughout your flooring. Mold below your home’s surface rots the flooring.
If caught soon enough, you can salvage your floors. But sometimes mold creates widespread damage that makes your floors weak and unsafe.
Call the Mold and Mildew Crew
If you’re noticing signs of mold and mildew around your home, don’t panic. Instead, trust your local trained, licensed, and certified technicians to clear your home of mold and mildew.
Contact our team to learn more about our services and how we can eliminate bacteria from your house.